Wednesday 18 January 2012

We're Approaching the Climax - Get Ready

It's been a while! I'm still around! On the earth, anyways. If you thought 'around' meant around you, you're probably mistaken.

I'm in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania at the moment. In case you're out of date. I got here on the 23rd of December, after about 24 hours of travelling. I slept for almost eight hours total on the trip, which is better than I was expecting. And I got over the jet lag within a couple of days.
The Christmas season involved a couple rounds of present opening, lots of food, several family games (I don't think I won any of them until New Year's Eve), and some other events thrown in. Events like a two day trip to the beach and a four day safari excursion. Lots of adventures were had, including hiking up an unexpectedly tall hill to swim in a waterfall with an Indian tour group and getting our vehicle stuck in a muddy patch of road for three hours in a wild game park. Good times.

I suppose now would be the time to do the traditional Start of the New Year Reflection Post.
I'll start off by outlining my New Year's Eve. Well, you've already heard about me winning a family game. After coming off that intense win, Ross and I tried to stay awake until midnight by watching football on TV and reading. When the clock changed over to 12, we wished each other a Happy New Year and fell asleep. Exciting, I know.

But when I think about the year of 2011, I do have some thoughts. 2011 was the year of my high school graduation. That will probably be how it's most often remembered from now on. It was also the year I got my first job, visited Italy for the first time, learned how to play the ukulele, and moved to Calgary for a few months. All important events.  If I look back at the me of one year ago, I can't even imagine what she would be thinking. Probably something about surviving the last months of school.
I think January 2011 would have been about the time that I was coming up with the tentative plan of going to school in Cape Town. If I had known it would be this much work for me to get there... I probably would have done it anyways. It was all worth it, for the ripple of surprise that travelled across the crowd at graduation when the speaker said that I was planning to go to the University of Cape Town to study the Humanities. That was a good moment in my life.

All that being said, I could continue to reflect for a while. Trust me, the IB program breeds children that are excellent at doing personal reflections on things they never cared about in the first place. But there are things happening right now in my life that I think are more interesting.

We called UCT a little while after Christmas, and asked three different people if they would send me that elusive conditional acceptance letter via email. Highlight of the phone call: "You really need to get that letter so you can get started on your student visa." My thoughts- No kidding.
They actually sent me the email! It had supposedly been mailed on November 17th. And the mysteries never end.

I quickly printed off the letter, signed the part saying that I "accepted their conditional offer", and scanned it and sent it back to them. The next day, my online status said, "We have received your acceptance of our conditional offer". Hoorah!
With this conditional offer letter, I could now start applying for a study visa. There are about 20 pieces to a study visa, so I had to gather those from near and far, and request favours from people I've never met before all around the world (sounds elaborate, right?), and finally we got everything together. I handed in the form two days ago, so on January 16th. Usually a visa takes longer to process, but the nice visa lady told me that she would request to get it done in two weeks. The start of UCT orientation weeks is January 31st. So, according to my calculations, the visa will be done on January 30th, leaving us a spacious 24 hours of wiggle room.

Sorry to leave you on the edge of your seat, there.

But wait! There's more!

Because of the lateness of everything, I was not able to get a spot in residence. So I've been house/apartment/room hunting feverishly. I found a building called The Baobab, which is sort of like an off-campus residence building. Awesome location, self-catering, a legitimate website with minimal spelling errors (you'd be surprised both by how rare this is and by how much it matters to me)... The shared rooms are obviously cheaper, but I don't know anyone in Cape Town, so I was worried about finding a roommate, only to learn that they happily assign people roommates, and all would be well.

Many prayers have been answered recently. Many, many prayers. So, despite the fact that I spend most of my days doing nothing at all, and I still probably should be worried about financial things and the visa getting done on time... Well, I'm not. I feel very cared for. I know I won't be left hanging, and I have no fears about trusting in a God this good. So the next weeks should pass by quickly enough. There will be a whole load of things I'll have to deal with as soon as I arrive in Cape Town, but that's okay. Today has enough worries of its own.

There will be another update soon. My adventures are just getting started.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Janelle, thanks for keeping us updated! I am glad to hear that things are moving ahead for you, and perhaps even gladder to hear the confidence-in-faith and adventurous-ness with which you are moving ahead!
    [hope neither your IB education nor your Arnold genes have left you wtih an aversion to made up hyphenated words...]
    :)

    ReplyDelete